Tags

, , , , , , , , , , ,

The house is finally ready to list for sale! During construction there was really no time to make posts, shame on me….so here I am. The next few posts I’ll outline different areas of major renovation. Both master and guest bathroom had their share of moments.

On initial look at this house, the master bathroom seemed okay. Master closet was moldy, vanity needed updating and the garden tub had a minor crack. First, I removed moldy drywall from closet and treated area. Surface mold, no big issues. Metal studs behind the wall was in perfect condition. Then, removed the vanity. As I was removing the floor tile, it occurred that maybe I ought to replace the shower threshold tiles also. Bad idea. Never poke a bear. Or probably in this case, it needed to be done. Lo and behold the entire threshold came apart with my bare hands. As  I poked farther, the half wall that connected the threshold was also in bad shape. Since I had to take out the wall, the garden tub seemed like a sore thumb. Removing the garden tub was an easy choice since there was a sparkling hot tub in the Florida room. Talk about space. Master shower opened up to the size of a New York City apartment.

Master Bathroom Before and After

Master Bathroom Before and After

The old single vanity with double sinks was replaced with double vanities each featured their own sinks. Ikea vanities with hidden plumbing and two drawer storage made very matured and stylish statements. Rectangular tile with mosaic glass band was used in the shower to further extend the contemporary look. Floor tile is a mixture of wooden veins and distressed wood. Random pattern allowed to use these spectacular tiles in a very creative and material saving way. A disastrous discovery, although putting a huge strain on the budget and time, turned out spectacular.

Guest Bathroom Before and After

Guest Bathroom Before and After

Guest bathroom single vanity was replaced with Ikea double vanity featuring hidden plumbing and storage drawers. Elbow grease on the tub and shower walls bore sparkling results. The floor tile on the other hand was one of the most difficult tile jobs I’ve done thus far. I used a generic construction grade thinset that just could not hold the tiles. I’m not going to mention the brand name. Next morning, half of the tiles were raised. After resetting them, the next morning another half was raised. Needless to say, I took all of the tiles back up, scraped the surface clean of thinset and redid the entire job, with a different thinset. I swear by Ultra Crete Multi Purpose Thinset. This stuff will probably stick to anything. I’ve used it in very different applications and never once did I have to redo the job. Thanks to my buddy from Tile Etc.

These bathrooms were well worth the time and energy. Both looks fantastic with their rainfall shower heads and functions wonderful. Next post will be about the sad little shed in the back. Check back to see how I transformed it into a man cave, she shed, work shop or whatever you want to call it.

This house will hit the Florida Multiple Listing Service (MLS) sometime towards to end of the week.

Advertisements